The population of Syria
Syria has a population of over 21 million people (the population density - 120 persons per 1 sq. Km).
- Arabs (90%);
- other nations (Kurds, Armenians, Turks, Assyrians, Circassians).
Kurds mainly inhabit the mountainous regions to thenorth-east and east of Aleppo, Latakia and Al-Hasaka, Armenians - the Aleppo and Damascus, the Assyrians - Al-Jazeera and the areas in the Habur River valley, the Turks and Turkmens - Latakia, Circassians - Deryu and Aleppo.
Official language - Arabic. In addition, widespread are Kurdish, Armenian and English languages.
Big cities: Aleppo, Damascus, Aleppo, Latakia, Hama, Homs, Qamishli, Deir ez-Zor, As-Suwayda.
The majority of Syria's population (85%) are Muslims (Sunni, Shiite), the rest - Zoroastrianism, Catholicism, Protestantism.
Female population on average live to 70 and men - up to 67 years.
Syria Health is enoughhigh level: there are open hospitals that are equipped with modern facilities. In addition, these highly qualified physicians (medical staff clinics speaks English, French and even Russian).
Going on a trip to Syria, should beworry about health insurance (registered international standard document). And should make vaccination against polio, tetanus, typhoid and hepatitis B (if planning to travel in the May-October, not places to be vaccinated against malaria).
The traditions and customs of the inhabitants of Syria
Syrians - cheerful and friendly people: Syrian guests may even seem like a good mood an end in itself locals (despite the adversity, they seek spiritual comfort). Even goes so far, that local merchants can give the buyer who does not have any money, goods just by saying that they can wait (customer can bring the money when it is convenient).
Weddings are held in Syria on ancient orientaltraditions: a celebration invite many relatives, friends, neighbors and acquaintances. Weddings are accompanied by revelry and copious festive feast. Another interesting fact is that the gifts are accepted to give the newlyweds at 5-7 days after the wedding.
During a visit to Syria, it is advisable not to violate the rules of conduct established here:
- Try to get round the places where accumulates a large number of people, especially in the moments when the Syrians organize mass protests;
- should not be smoking, including shisha in public places (for violation of the prohibition provided for a fine);
- Alcoholic drinks can be consumed only in designated areas and in your room;
- when visiting the houses and mosques should take off your shoes;
- do not take pictures of government agencies, military facilities, the mosque (of the interior) and local women;
- if the Syrian invite you to visit, do not refuse the invitation (it may perceive as an insult).