Zoo in Budapest
The zoo in Budapest, which opened in 1866, at first did not surprise its visitors - its guests were only animals familiar to Europeans. Empress Eljbieta, who was keenly interested in the affairs of the menagerie, decided to rectify the situation, and through her efforts the first giraffe appeared in the park. The Emperor of Austria-Hungary Franz Joseph did not stand aside and three dozen exotic animals soon arrived for permanent residence in the menagerie of the Hungarian capital.
Budapest ZOO and Botanical garden
The full name of the Budapest Zoo includes the mention of the botanical garden. In addition to hundreds of animal species, a variety of plants are represented on its territory, found on all inhabited continents..
The Palm Pavilion represents the changing climatic zones of planet Earth and showcases the atmosphere of the Amazonian jungle and Australian deserts, polar tundra and African humid forests. You can freely walk around the pavilion, while contact with bright butterflies, birds and tiny monkeys delights both children and their parents.
Pride and achievement
Zoo workers in Budapest are especially proud of the Japanese bonsai garden and aquarium, which recreates the atmosphere of a real coral reef. Toddlers like to stroke real stingrays, which have become completely tame during their stay in the new aquarium..
How to get there?
Zoo address: 146 Budapest, A llatkerti krt. 6-12. You can get there:
- Take the yellow line of the M1 metro to the Széchenyi Fürdő stop. Then walk a couple of minutes following the signs.
- By trolleybus 72 to the stop "Állatkert" and 75 to the stop "Gundel Károly út"
- By buses 20Е, 30, 30А, 105 and 230 to the stop "Hősök Tere"
Opening hours and prices
The Budapest Zoo opens at 09.00, but the schedule for its closure depends on the time of year and on the day of the week:
- From November to February inclusive - at 16.00, regardless of the day of the week.
- In March, the working day becomes longer and the details of the schedule are best checked on the official website of the airport..
Ticket offices stop working one hour before the park closes. On December 24 and 31, the last visitors leave the zoo at 13.00.
The ticket price depends on the age of the guests:
- Adult - 2500 HUF.
- Child from 2 to 14 years old - 1800 HUF.
- Student - 1900 HUF.
- Family for 2 adults and 2 children - 7300 HUF.
- Groups of 10 people and more for adults, children and students - 2000, 1300 and 1400 HUF per person, respectively.
To confirm the right to benefits, you must have a document with a photo. Children under 14 years old unaccompanied by an adult are not allowed in the zoo.
Services and contacts
Free parking at the zoo site is not large, and it can be difficult to find a place there. The administration asks to use the parking lot in the southern part of Heroes' Square next to the zoo.
Official site - www.zoobudapest.com.
Inquiries by phone +36 1 273 4900.