I myself wanted to write on this topic, but my hands did not reach, so I am happy to post an excellent guest post (just titanic work), which will be very useful to all of us when traveling. Its author originally wrote about applications for iOS, but half of the applications are also for Android in Google play. I will not duplicate links to them, you can find them through the search. I would be glad if you write in the comments what applications you use when traveling on smartphones and tablets..
Greetings to all travelers, my name is Artem (my youtube channel), I, like many of you, love to visit unknown places and get new impressions. In addition, I actively follow mobile technologies and am a fan of Apple products. I will not argue about preferences, persuade you to use iPhone, iPad and others “apple” gadgets, but I'll just tell all like-minded people about how iDevice can help on a long trip.
Many people know that Apple is not only high-quality phones, tablets and computers, but also ease of use, elegant design, and most importantly - a wide variety of applications. They help to unleash the full potential of devices. This article will focus specifically on programs for the iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch, which will come in handy while traveling. Each trip consists of different stages, I will also consider the applications, for each of them. There is a great variety of programs in the AppStore, for each stage three alternatives will be offered. My choice does not pretend to be the truth of the last resort, I just share my experience and talk about what I use myself.
The content of the article
- one Where to go?
- 2 Where to stay?
- 3 How to fly?
- 4 How to express yourself?
- five How to communicate?
- 6 How not to get lost?
- 7 What to watch?
- eight Where to eat?
- nine What else can come in handy?
- 10 A little tip in the end?
Where to go?
Like any important business, a trip begins with planning, you need to decide on the direction of the trip. Sometimes we know where to go in advance, and sometimes we decide shortly before departure. In any case, you need to find information about the host country, features of entry into it, residence, etc. I prefer to use the application for this
Redigo guides and maps:
- general information about the country (visa, time zone, currency, language, how to get there and much more);
- main attractions and entertainment;
- data that does not require Internet access for their work;
- photo gallery;
- basic phrasebook in seven foreign languages;
The application will help you not only to determine the route, but also to find your way around the place. Redigo is available for free and is suitable for iPhone and iPad.
- Information about where to live, where to go and what to see
- Travel guides and maps without internet connection
- Recommendations from friends and other users of the service
- Ability to add new places, opinions and advice yourself
The program is a kind of wikipedia for travelers. All information is collected by the travelers themselves. Afisha-Mir is available for free and is suitable for iPhone and iPad.
Ask a Nomad - Travel Guide:
- Large database of answers to frequently asked questions
- Information from other travelers and locals
- Possibility to ask a question yourself
- Get quick answers and advice
The program is a FAQ-reference, in which you can independently ask a question of interest about a trip and get an answer from other users of the service or find an answer among the tips already described. The application is in English, but it is not difficult to understand the basic knowledge of the language. Ask a Nomad is a free app for iPad only.
Where to stay?
Immediately after choosing the route, you should decide on the accommodation. You can book a hotel in one place for the entire duration of the trip, or you can find guesthouses or hostels along the entire journey. Someone will prefer to order everything in advance, others will be determined on the spot, but it will not hurt to have addresses, contacts and descriptions of places for spending the night or accommodation at hand..
- The official app of the best hotel booking service
- 330,000 accommodation options across 41,000 destinations
- Beach Villas, Resort Hotels, Marine Yacht Hotels, Motels, Campgrounds, Apartments and Other Accommodations in One Application
- Description, reviews and ratings for each institution
- Booking, payment and confirmation right in the app.
This service is used by millions of people all over the world, now you can install the official application on your iDevice. Booking.com is a free app, can be installed on iPhone or iPad.
- Russian-language analogue of the world famous booking service
- Ability to view hotels on the map, photos of places of residence, favorites list
- Function “Hotel for this night” allows you to quickly find where to sleep day after day.
The application is similar to the previous one, while it has a smaller database of hotels, but it captivates with a number of interesting functions. Ostrovok.ru can be downloaded for free and installed on iPad or iPhone.
- Hotel search “for today” at the lowest price
- Possibility of booking and ordering up to 2 am
- Accommodation rating
- User support by e-mail 24/7
The program is aimed at those who do not book a hotel in advance, but book it on the spot. With its help, you can find and book a night on the spot, please note that in this case you need an internet connection. Hotel Tonight is free for iPhone and iPad.
How to fly?
Now is the time to decide how best and most profitable to get to your vacation spot. As you know, the price of a flight can fluctuate depending on the day or week of departure. It is always appropriate, knowing the approximate travel date, to check the prices for the next or previous week. This can be done in convenient applications of special services..
- Adding Flights to Passbook and Calendar
- Airline background information
- Search 40 agencies and 728 airlines
- Ability to rate services
- Quick purchase and booking confirmation
- Ability to customize notifications when the required tickets appear
The app allows you to track prices and book tickets for the best deals. In addition to one of the most extensive databases, there is integration with other iOS applications with the ability to schedule an event in the calendar or add a ticket receipt to Passbook.
The universal Aviasales program is suitable for iPhone and iPad.
- Ability to book tickets with 800 airlines
- Passing hotel booking with a database of 330,000 hotels
- Cancellation function
- Several ways to pay for tickets
The application is an improved analogue of the previous program. Despite the lack of integration with standard applications, AnyWayAnyDay has a number of features. You can book hotels and tickets in one program, and pay in a way convenient for you. AnyWayAnyDay works great on iPad and iPhone.
- Flexible sorting of found air tickets by date, price or flight duration
- Price chart for a week, month or year
- The program allows you to find tickets to the selected area at a given price, this will allow an undecided traveler to fit into the established budget
The application is the official client of the booking system that has proven itself all over the world. A distinctive feature is a large price chart that allows you to compare long periods of time without additional downloads. Ordering a flight through a client is much faster and more convenient than through the company's website. You can download the program for iPad or iPhone.
How to express yourself?
The topic of the language barrier is always relevant. Some tourists do not know enough languages to communicate with the local population, sometimes, the latter, due to its illiteracy, cannot understand us, who speak English or another common language. To avoid misunderstanding, it is recommended to have a phrasebook with you..
- One of the best (if not the best) dictionary database
- A huge number of languages and directions of translation
- The ability to translate not only words, but entire phrases
- Pronunciation of words and phrases in many languages
- Possibility of voice input of the phrase for translation
The app has worked well and needs no introduction. A translator from the search giant will help in any situation, especially the pronunciation of the translated text and the input of the phrase by dictating. It has only one significant limitation - all functions work online, while in another country, you will need to provide Internet access. You can download the free version of Google Translate in the AppStore, the application is universal and will work on any iDevice.
- Ability to translate inscriptions from five languages into English
- Translation and rendering of graphics on the fly
- Ability to save translated fragments
Quite an unusual application that is designed to translate signs, symbols and instructions from five languages (Portuguese, German, Italian, French and Spanish) into English. Service implementation is like a trick or a trick. You point your camera at a sign with a foreign inscription and you see English text on it. The program will help you navigate when there is no one to ask for advice or help. Like the previous app, Word Lens requires an internet connection to work. You can download the program for free for iPad and iPhone.
- 33 most common languages for communication
- Possibility to choose the necessary directions of translation to save space
- Ability to download data and use offline translator in the future
- Chapter “Favorites” for quick access to frequently used phrases
- Function “Memorization” allows you to memorize the necessary words with simple exercises
The application is well-designed, functions without access to the network (after pre-loading the data) and contains an illustrated dictionary, which will allow you to communicate even in a language that is not in the system. Just show the picture to the interlocutor and he will understand you without further ado. Paid software, for the version for iPhone and iPad you will have to pay $ 4.99.
How to communicate?
In order to communicate with loved ones left at home or exchange data with other travelers, well-known and proven Internet messengers are best suited. Of course, they can only be used when connected to the network..
- Ability to create group chats
- Easy sharing of photos, videos and contacts through the app
- Saving messages offline with further sending when connected to the network
The most widespread and proven internet messenger at the moment. Millions of users have already chosen it for communication. The service is very popular because of its cross-platform nature. You can download WhatsApp for iPhone for free.
- Ability to send text and audio messages
- Best voice quality for calls among competing apps
- Ability to send your location, photos and videos from the device
- Localization into a large number of languages (including Russian)
Slightly less popular, but no less popular cross-platform messenger, which boasts excellent speech quality. Integration with the phone book, automatic display of users from the address book who use Viber. The app recently received a client for computers (OS X and Windows) with the ability to integrate with the mobile app. You can download Viber for iPhone and iPad for free.
- The most popular video calling app in the world
- Work on any mobile platform and in any OS on a computer
- Text messages, audio calls, video communication
- The ability to exchange any type of file
- The ability to make calls to mobile and landline numbers in any country (for an additional fee)
Despite the fact that Skype appeared long before its counterparts described above, recently the program has lost its former popularity. This is due to new trends (now text messages and emoticons are in vogue, and video communication is used less often) and the gluttony of the application. Skype drains the battery of the device more strongly, but does not require authorization via a mobile number, like previous messengers. In contrast, Skype has a complete iPhone and iPad app. All known operating systems are supported (not only on phones, but also on PCs), and for an additional fee, you can make calls to mobile phones anywhere in the world.
How not to get lost?
In order not to get lost in a foreign country, you must have maps of the area with you. It is convenient when, in addition to houses and streets, sights, cafes, hotels, etc. will be indicated on them..
- Best Navigation & Geotagging App
- The most extensive and updated database of maps
- Ability to view images of the terrain from space
- Street view with 3-D panoramas for large cities
- Online creation of routes for travel by personal or public transport
- Search for necessary objects and information about them
As in the case of the translator, Google maps are the best in the world in terms of coverage and fullness. You can use them both through a browser and using a mobile application. A network connection is required for full functionality. In offline mode, you can only view saved maps and your location on them. Download Google Maps for iPhone and iPad for free.
City Maps 2Go:
- Ability to download maps and use them offline
- 100% functionality when not connected to the network
- 6,700 interactive maps for most cities and tourist areas
- Traveler's Guide from Wikipedia - Shows information about the area and attractions
The application is 100% suitable for travelers without mobile internet. We download the map and the Wikipedia guide for the desired region in advance and we don’t run around looking for wi-fi throughout the trip. Maps work quickly and accurately, unfortunately, there is no route planning and Russian localization. You can download City Maps 2Go for iPhone and iPad for $ 2.99.
- Maps of 380 cities of Russia, Ukraine, Belarus and Kazakhstan
- Ability to download cache maps and use them offline
- 3-D panoramas for 260 cities
- Additional information about objects on the map
- Traffic and accident data for major cities
So far, the domestic search engine in the field of maps will not be able to compete with Google in terms of the coverage of territories. The application can only be recommended for trips in the CIS. But the accuracy and reliability of maps in the near abroad is more accurate, and additional information in the form of traffic jams can be useful to drivers. You can download Yandex.Maps for free, they are suitable for both iPhone and iPad.
What to watch?
When you got to the place and orientated yourself on the map, the question arises, what can be seen from the sights, where are cultural values nearby, and where are mass events. Of course, you can follow the proverb “Language will bring to Kiev” and rely on your knowledge of a foreign language, but it is better not to depend on the hospitality and sociability of the local population to have a list of attractions and their locations.
- The application supports 21 languages (including Russian)
- The program contains data on attractions, interesting places, cultural values
- Data collected from more than 20 databases of map services
- Accurate determination of the distance to the selected object
- Augmented reality mode
The program is an aggregator of data on the location of objects with the largest database. Of particular interest is the function of augmented reality, in which data about objects are superimposed on the image from the camera of your iDevice. Pointing the camera to the streets, you will see marks over monuments, cafes, banks, etc. with their name, description and additional information. Localscope app is suitable for iPhone and iPad, its price in the AppStore is $ 1.99.
- A very large database of tags with various types of establishments
- Displaying not only the distance to the object, but also the estimated travel time
- Data about events nearby (fairs, sales, performances, shows)
- Notification of a new event near you
Not a bad utility that will allow you not to miss all the fun in the place of your stay. It focuses on short-term events and actions near the user of the service. Download TagWhat is free for iPad and iPhone.
TripAdvisor Offline City Guides:
- Traveler's guide to the most common tourist cities
- Convenient user navigation and display of objects on the map
- Ability to preload data for further offline use.
- Over 50 million reviews and tips from fellow travelers
Despite the fact that the program is in English, it is not difficult to use it. It is enough to download the required city or country and you will be provided with a personal guide for the entire duration of the trip. TripAdvisor is free to download and install on iPhone or iPad.
Where to eat?
On any trip or trip, the issue of food comes up every day. Of course, if you are staying at the hotel according to the system “All inclusive”, this concern will bypass you. For everyone else, it is recommended to have an app to quickly find food items. Please note that many of the programs listed above already have a search for food places, below will be described applications in which this is the main function.
LocalEats for iPad:
- Search for food places in all cities of the USA and major cities in Europe
- Sort places by rating, type of cuisine or location
- Feedback from visitors and critics from print media around the world
The application is perfect for real gourmets or connoisseurs of cuisine who are used to focusing on the opinion of reputable experts. At this stage, the not very wide base of cities is upsetting. The program can still be recommended for trips to the USA or Europe. The program is free and only suitable for iPad.
- A large base of catering establishments (and not only) in large cities of Russia
- Photos and user reviews about each institution
- 3-D tour of the selected location
- All contacts for ordering a table or takeaway
The program is constantly updated with new cities in Russia. Recently, the author began to add establishments from Ukraine. You can quickly find not only a place where to eat deliciously, but also objects for further pastime. The application is free and suitable for iPhone and iPad.
- Search for cafes, bars and restaurants (mainly in the Asian region)
- Rating of establishments, cuisine, example of a menu with prices (not for all establishments)
- Convenient display of food places, including in augmented reality mode using the camera of your iDevice
The program is perfect for finding places to eat when traveling to Asian and Arab countries. An excellent function will tell you the presence of wi-fi in the institution and various promotions. In addition, you can find contacts for ordering food or a table. You can download Buuuk for free, the application is suitable for iPhone or iPod Touch.
What else can come in handy?
Any trip must be accompanied by weather control. It is always good to know what awaits you for or for the next few days. There are a lot of applications for viewing weather in the AppStore, I decided to stop at GisMeteo:
- Free Russian-language application with weather data anywhere in the world
- Ability to view detailed data for the next 48 hours or short - for 7 days
- Geomagnetic storm or weather warnings
- Displaying the weather not only in cities, but also at airports
- The ability to watch the previously received forecast offline
For most readers, accounting for finances for their wise spending is the norm. You can record all receipts and expenditures for the day in the evening at the computer, but it is much more convenient to enter data directly on the phone. If your smartphone is always at hand, then the accounting of finances will be faster, not only on vacation, but also in everyday life. It's pretty convenient to use the CashSync app for this:
- The ability to keep a joint record of several users
- Synchronizing data across multiple devices
- Convenient reminders to keep track of regular transactions
- The ability to enter data in the currency of the host country, in the future they are converted at the rate into your base currency
- There is a free version of the application with limited functionality
Most of the programs described require internet access to function. Some apps have a pre-download and offline function, but Internet access is always preferable. To know about all the wi-fi points from which you can connect to the network, you just need to download the Wi-fi Map Pro application:
- Indicating wi-fi points in many cities of the planet
- Displaying your location on the map and the wi-fi access location relative to it
- Passwords from users to closed access points
- Working with pre-loaded maps offline
With the program, it is enough to download a map of a city or region before the trip, and upon arrival you will see all nearby wi-fi points for closed passwords that have been entered into the database by other users of the service. Now you can go online and work with other applications without restrictions.
A little tip in the end?
All applications described in this article can work on Apple technology. This can be an iPhone, an iPod Touch, or an iPad. Since most of the services are related to navigation and location determination, I want to talk about a little nuance. To determine your current position, mobile devices can use two technologies GPS and AGPS.
GPS - determines the position relative to satellites, and AGPS - relative to cell towers.
The first system works without Internet access, does not require money, is available anywhere in the world, however, it looks for a connection with satellites longer, may have a poor signal in the mountains or when working indoors.
The second system can find your location more quickly, however, it requires a mobile internet connection or wi-fi network. Therefore, it requires money for mobile Internet or tethering to a public access point..
Now the most important thing: not all Apple mobile devices are equipped with GPS modules. They are present in iPhones starting from the 3G model (it is absent only in the old iPhone of the first generation). IPod Touch players do not have a GPS module and can only find a location when connected to wi-fi. The situation with iPads is as follows: there are models with a 3G module (they are also called Cellular in the name), but there are only wi-fi devices. You can recognize them by their name or by their appearance..
Radio-equipped tablets have a plastic cover on the top panel at the back. The antenna of the block is hidden behind it. In addition, there is a SIM card slot on the case. These iPads are more expensive than non-3G models, but they have advantages. You can insert a mobile operator card into them and use the Internet through it, and most importantly, they have a GPS module. The wi-fi model does not have this module, sellers do not always point out this to attention. Such tablets will be able to find your location only when connected to a wi-fi network, like iPods.
This concludes my story, I hope the information presented will be useful, write what applications for iOS you use when traveling.