Holidays in Greece in December
Greece in December is ready to please the weather for tourists who want to enjoy the excursion program, but not a beach holiday. Mediterranean winter begins this month.
The beginning of the month can be pampered with a temperature of about + 19C, but from the second week a significant cooling is noticeable and the beginning of frequent rains is noted, an increased air humidity (75%) is felt. At the same time, the only place where snow can fall is in mountainous areas..
Weather in Greece in December
- In Thessaloniki, a city recognized «the northern capital» Greece, the temperature per day ranges from +2 to + 10C. It can snow during short-term cold snaps.
- In Kastoria, temperatures range from 0C to + 6C. Precipitation is about eleven days a month.
- The southern regions of Greece delight with warm weather: during the day the temperature is + 14C, at night + 9C.
- Crete has the highest temperature, namely + 10-17C. Snow often falls in the mountainous areas of the island, while it rains in the rest. Similar conditions are observed in Corfu, Kos, Rhodes.
- In Athens, you will have to say goodbye to snow, because in the capital of Greece there are frequent showers and squally winds..
Despite the fact that the weather in Greece in December is not the most pleasant, tourists from Russia can enjoy the warmth and take a break from the real winter..
Holidays and festivals in Greece in December
Holidays in Greece in December can please with a festive atmosphere. From the very beginning of the month, events are held to prepare for the New Year and Christmas. Tourists can admire the decorated cities and ornate Christmas trees in the main squares, all of which are attributes of the winter holidays..
Officially, the celebrations start on December 6, St. Nicholas Day. Thessaloniki Christmas Magic City opens in Thessaloniki.
On December 31, all residents of Greece celebrate the New Year in noisy companies in the best restaurants, on decorated squares. In Greece, on New Year's Eve, it is customary to exchange photos, which are skewers with citrus fruits, apples, figs and candies, and at the top there should be a candle symbolizing light and hope. The following custom is especially interesting: at midnight the owner of the house must go out into the yard and break a pomegranate fruit against the wall. It is believed that the year will be happy if the pomegranate seeds are scattered throughout the yard. After that, all family members should dip their fingers in honey and lick them..
A trip to Greece will allow you to feel the atmosphere of a fairy tale and learn about unusual New Year's traditions.
The most beautiful corners of the world - Greece