Airports in Honduras
The small Central American state has access to two oceans and in the future may become one of the priority destinations for beach tourism in the region. Airports in Honduras are already ready to receive guests from different countries, despite their reputation as one of the most difficult to take off and land in the world..
Honduras International Airports
Two airports of the country have international status:
- The air harbor in Tegucigalpa is called Toncontin. The city in which the airport is located is the capital of Honduras, and its center and the passenger terminal are only 6 km away. Honduras airport in Tegucigalpa is the second most difficult airport in the world to land and take off. It is dangerously close to the mountains and only very experienced pilots can approach its short runway..
- Honduras International Airport in La Ceiba is located in the northern part of the country on the Caribbean coast. Among other flights arriving at Goloson airport with tourists heading for a beach holiday.
The airport in Tegucigalpa is located at an altitude of just over one kilometer above sea level. Its "take-off" back in 2009 was only 1,863 meters long, which made takeoff and landing in this air harbor extremely dangerous. In 2012, work on the reconstruction of the airfield was completed, and today the length of the runway is more than 2 km..
The newly built passenger terminal of Toncontin Airport has a post office and currency exchange office, several restaurants and duty-free shops. In the arrivals area, you can rent a car or order a taxi for a transfer to the city.
Arrivals and departures from this air harbor are accompanied by the collection of airport taxes - upon entering and leaving the country, foreign citizens must pay an amount equivalent to approximately $ 40.
Airlines flying to Toncontin are the carriers of the Western Hemisphere:
- American Airlines, United Airlines and Delta Air Lines fly from Miami, Houston and Atlanta.
- Copa Airlines flies to Panama City.
- Avianca Salvador connects Tegucigalpa with San Salvador.
- Avianca Guatemala carries passengers to Guatemala City.
Russian travelers can get to Tegucigalpa on the wings of airlines with connections to the United States (with a visa) or via Cuba and then Panama. Travel time will be at least 18 hours.
To the Caribbean beaches
Rest on the beaches of Honduras is most often practiced by Canadian citizens. They use Honduras airport a couple of kilometers south of the city of La Ceiba on the Caribbean Sea.
Sunwing Airlines flies here from Montreal, as well as planes from the Cayman Islands, Belize, Mexico, El Salvador and Honduras..
Transfer from the airport can be arranged by taxi to the selected hotel or a bus can be ordered from the hotel.