Excursions in Veliky Novgorod
Veliky Novgorod attracts tourists with its antiquity, because it used to be a center of trade and crafts, and now it has turned into a city-museum, known not only in Russia, but also in the world. Novgorod surprises with the uniqueness of its attractions; there are more than 50 monuments from the time of Ancient Rus. Excursions in Veliky Novgorod allow you to plunge into the old days and learn the history of the great city. Many secrets and tragic stories are kept within the walls of Novgorod houses, monasteries and temples..
Immerse yourself in the history of the city
The first buildings on the site of the modern city appeared in the middle of the 9th century. Over time, the city expanded and became a center of international trade connecting northern Europe and Asia. The mention of Veliky Novgorod is found in «Tales of bygone years» 859 years old. According to legend, it was in Novgorod that the pagan god Perun was thrown into the river. The inhabitants of the city were significantly different from others - instead of bast shoes and broken roads, they had leather boots and cobbled streets.
Monuments of Ancient Russia fit organically into the modern city. Sightseeing tours in Veliky Novgorod traditionally begin with sightseeing:
- The Novgorod Kremlin, which dates back to 1044 and was built by order of Prince Yaroslav, bears the popular name of a stone detinets or a stone city. In the future, it was rebuilt more than once, but this first stone fortress was located in the same place where the surviving remains of the Detinets are now located.
- St. Sophia Cathedral is a majestic monument of ancient Russian architecture. It was built by Prince Vladimir and became the main cathedral of the Novgorod Republic.
- The Museum of Wooden Architecture of Vitoslavlitsa is recognized as one of the unique museums of wooden architecture in the country. More than 80 thousand tourists visit it per year..
- Yaroslav's Dvorishche is a monument of Ancient Russia with a large number of architectural masterpieces of architecture. Yaroslav's yard was located in the busiest part of the famous Novgorod marketplace and was surrounded on all sides by rows of shops.
- The Trinity Church of the Holy Spirit Monastery has a number of features in composition, design and decoration. Among others, it is distinguished by its successful proportions..
- The Cathedral of the Sign is covered with murals on all sides. Patterns and paints are located not only on the inner walls, but also on the outer ones - on the gates, porch vaults, along the upper cornice, etc..
In Veliky Novgorod, any season has its own peculiarity, therefore it is open to the public all year round. It is very easy and convenient to get to know the city with its splendor and grandeur during excursions..