Traditions of Abkhazia
Legend has it that God distributed all the land to the peoples when an Abkhaz suddenly appeared on his doorstep. He was late only because he received a guest in his house and could not leave him alone without giving the due honors. The guest was an Angel, who told God about the warm welcome and respect that was presented to him in the Abkhazian modest dwelling. Then the Almighty endowed the Abkhaz with the land that he had reserved for himself. This is how one of the most beautiful countries on the planet appeared. This legend in an amazing way conveys all the main traditions of Abkhazia and the peculiarities of the character of its inhabitants - hospitality, leisurely and modesty.
Legends and modernity
The traditions of Abkhazia are said to be based on an ancient culture called apsuara. This concept means faith and life principles for the Abkhaz, rules of conduct and basic laws..
Respect for elders is an immutable truth that any inhabitant of Abkhazia absorbs with mother's milk. It is not customary to argue with a senior, his orders are carried out unquestioningly, and his authority is indisputable. At the same time, even the oldest and most respected person gets up if a child enters the house. This is how the Abkhaz instill respect in children and emphasize that the younger generation is the future of any nation..
Any meal begins with hand washing. According to the tradition of Abkhazia, the first to perform this ritual is the senior member of the family and the guest. The rest of the participants in the meal wait until the first two sit down at the table, and only then proceed to the ablution ceremony..
Useful little things
- Once you are a guest in an Abkhaz family or company, do not try to offer a fee for reception or accommodation - this can seriously offend the hosts. As gratitude, you can say sincere pleasant words or give a small souvenir.
- As someone's guest, you shouldn't worry about your own safety. Abkhazian traditions suggest that the host takes on the honorable role of protector.
- While on vacation in Abkhazia, follow the rules of conduct in public places. It is not customary to shout loudly here, because such actions can be perceived by local residents as an insult..
- It is not customary to be naked topless on the local beaches, as well as to appear on city streets and outside recreation areas in bathing suits or too short shorts and skirts.
- When promising something to a resident of Abkhazia, try to keep your word. Otherwise, you will lose his trust and respect irrevocably..