A Russian citizen is lucky - if he needs a visa to Thailand, he has a huge choice of ways, how and where to do it. You can read about all this diversity here: Visa to Thailand or how to live here for a long time. One of the most popular options is a trip from Thailand to Malaysia to see the country and make a visa..
In this article I will tell you in more detail how a Thai visa is made in Malaysia (to Kuala Lumpur), based on my own experience. Here our brother Russian (Ukrainian and Belarusian) was also lucky - when entering Malaysia, we just get a stamp for 30 days and calmly cross the border without any Malaysian visa. Upon arrival, you just need to fill out a migration card.
The content of the article
- one Applying for a Thai visa to Kuala Lumpur
- 2 Other points
Applying for a Thai visa to Kuala Lumpur
Once upon a time they tightened the screws in Kuala Lumpur and did not issue tourist visas, so everyone went to Penang, this is also Malaysia, an island, and there are flights there from Thailand. But in 2017, there were reviews that a visa in Kuale could be obtained again. Yes, more documents are required than in Laos, but it is quite possible to make them.
Visa cost and consulate opening hours
Consular fee: 150 RM for a single entry tourist visa.
You can apply for a visa at the Consulate of Thailand from 09:30 to 11:30.
You can pick up your visa the next working day from 14:30 to 16:30.
Single entry tourist visa for 3 months in total. It is given at first for 60 days, and for another 30 days you can extend the immigration in Thailand itself. Renewal costs 1900 baht.
When planning your visit to Malaysia, specify the opening hours, and most importantly, the working days of his consulate (Official Holidays). Keep in mind that their traditional holidays do not always coincide with ours, and a normal working day may turn out to be a day off (or even a long weekend), and then you will have a dinner at the closed doors of the consulate for several days..
List of documents for a Thai visa
Here is a list of documents from the website of the Thai Consulate in Malaysia. Serve everything according to the list.
You don't need a bank statement and you don't need to show money either. Each family member must complete the complete set of documents listed below..
- Passport valid for 6 more months.
- A photocopy of the first page of the passport (can be done in front of the consulate).
- 1 photograph 4 × 6 or 3x4 (including for a child entered in the passport).
- Visa application form. You can download it on the Internet (I have it below or from the website of the consulate), or take it from the consulate itself before submitting the documents and fill it in there.
- Tickets to and from Thailand. They say they roll unpaid reservations, which make their way as confirmed. Follow the link how to make them. Alternatively, buy a ticket at a refundable fare, such as the Economy PREMIUM FLEX from Aeroflot. Payment for it is fully refundable.
- Housing contract in Thailand if you live in a house or apartment. Also, just in case, you can take a copy of the owner's passport. Or you make a canceled booking on Booking. Since Booking allows you to make a reservation for a maximum of 30 days, you will need to make 2 or 3 reservations to close all the days of your stay in Thailand. The booking must include all family members who apply for a visa with you.
How to fill out a visa application form
Application template in pdf format. You can fill it in directly on your computer and then print it out. An example of filling out an application for a visa to Thailand can be found here.
Points that might cause some confusion:
Former name (Maiden name) - although it was, I did not write it, there were no questions.
Nationality - Russian. Russia or Russian Federation - no difference.
Nationality at birth - written by Russia.
Occupation - the manager and engineer wrote from the bulldozer, they didn't even indicate the place of work - it gave a ride.
Issued at - do not write to the police department, the Federal Migration Service and any other crap they do not understand, just write Russia, your city.
Current address - wrote the address of the hotel in Kuala Lumpur, some write in general an address in Russia.
Name and Address of Guarantor in Thailand - left blank, no questions raised.
In any case, on the spot it will be possible to fill in the rest and fix something..
Visa application process
We received a visa in Malaysia for a long time, but the meaning remained the same. At the checkpoint, you present your passport, your data is recorded, you receive a visa application form and go to the main building. At the entrance you will receive tickets from the machine with the queue number. Until your turn comes, fill out the application form, if you have not done this at home, and dutifully wait for your number to appear on the board indicating which window you should go to.
They simply accepted our documents, did not ask about anything, did not demanded anything additional, they just issued receipts, according to which the next day we safely received passports with the coveted visas.
How to get to the consulate of Thailand
The Thai Embassy and Consulate in Kuala Lumpur is located at 206 Jalan Ampang, 50450 Kuala Lumpur. The address of the Thai Consulate in Malaysia Penang (just in case): No. 1, Jalan Tunku Abdul Rahman, 10350 Penang.
The transport network in Kuala Lumpur is very well developed, and the embassy is located in the city center, so it will not be difficult to get to it from anywhere. The most convenient way to take the metro is the Ampang Park station, next to the KLCC (the green Kelana Jaua Line). If you go to Uber or Grabtaxi, just show the taxi driver the address.
From the Jalan Ampang junction with Jalan Tun Razak to the east for about 500m, walk on the left side, pass the French embassy, Volkswagen car dealership, behind it Rozel car dealership, a police booth and immediately behind it a gray lattice gate and a sign saying that you have reached the consular department of the embassy Thailand. On the other side of the road, somewhere on the road - Holiday Villa.
Actual cost of visa
It makes sense to calculate how much the entire trip to Malaysia will cost - flights, accommodation, meals, unforeseen expenses. Here are some numbers on how we did it:
- Flight to Malaysia by AirAsia, Bangkok - Kuala Lumpur and back - about 4350 baht per person. Maybe cheaper for a promotion.
- Accommodation in a hotel in Kuala Lumpur - about 1500 baht per day from double. There are also cheaper ones, but everything can be scary there..
- Food for 40-100 baht and more for one dish if you eat in cheap eateries.
In total, our expenses for the transportation of bodies and for their stay for 4 days in Malaysia amounted to 14,500 baht for two.
Why is it worth doing a Thai visa in Malaysia:
- You live in Thailand on the border with Malaysia.
- The flight to Malaysia cost you very cheap, for example, you bought tickets Phuket - Kuala Lumpur for a promotion.
- Do you want to see Kuala Lumpur.
Where to eat cheap and tasty in Kuala Lumpur
If you are reading this article, then you are most likely going for a Thai visa, which means you will pass by the Ampang Park shopping center, which is located right next to the metro of the same name. It is also a 5-minute walk from Petronas Twin Towers (Petronas Tower) or from the KLCC metro station, which is actually the same thing.
On the third floor of the Ampang Park shopping center there is a good place called Food Court, where you can eat inexpensively and tasty. It works, however, only until 6 pm. Food Court is a large number of mini-cafes in one area, as it happens in Russia in shopping centers. Prices for Malaysia are very good - 4-7 RM per serving.
Visa processing in Penang
A separate item. You can still apply for a visa in Penang, this is also Malaysia. Usually here they go from a travel agency to visaran overland, it turns out faster and sometimes cheaper than in Kuala Lumpur. But here you need to look at the specific prices for air tickets in order to compare.
Visaran costs - 3800 baht (travel on two minibuses, hotel, breakfast, coffee / tea all day, dinner, breakfast and dinner)
Visa cost - 1500 baht
200 baht - so as not to go to the embassy, and the visa will be brought to the hotel
100 baht - entry to Malaysia
200 baht - photo
200 baht - ala a bribe to the customs officer for not checking the required amount of money at the exit
Total: 6000 THB / person
List of documents
- Foreign passport with an emigration card
- 2 photos 3.5 * 4.5 (you can take a picture at the hotel + 200 baht / person)
- Flights from Thailand to any country
- An apartment lease agreement, where each person who receives a visa is indicated (I don't know about children, whether it is necessary to indicate them)
I heard that in other cities they asked for a scan of the ID of the landlord of your apartment.
I also want to tell everyone, check the stamp date at the border. The customs officer can inadvertently deliver for 1 month, instead of 2. But then in the local Thai immigration it will be possible to fix this too..