Airports in Guatemala
Lost in the jungle, the temples of Guatemala are a tasty morsel for fans of ancient history and architecture. Russian tourists are not very frequent guests at Guatemala airports. But those who dare to buy a ticket to the country of the descendants of the ancient Maya can only be envied - the impressions of the trip will last for a long time!
There are no direct flights between Moscow and Guatemala, but Russian travelers will be gladly accepted on board by Lufthansa, Iberia, KLM or Air France. Excluding connections, the travel time will be at least 16 hours.
Guatemala International Airports
Both major Guatemala airports have international status, but the number and variety of flights they accept differ significantly:
- La Aurora International Airport is located 6 km from the center of Guatemala City. Its recent modernization allows this air harbor to be considered as meeting high international standards. The city where the airport is located is the capital of the country, and therefore aircraft from many countries of the Western Hemisphere and direct flights from Madrid fly here.
- Mundo Maya Airport in Flores, northern Guatemala, has scheduled flights from the capital and neighboring Belize.
La Aurora International Airport was overhauled in 2008 and today its two terminals - Central and North - serve up to 2 million passengers a year..
The Guatemala Capital Airport offers cafes and eateries, currency exchange offices and lounges, including VIP lounges..
Transfer to the city is carried out by taxi and public transport - the bus stop is located at the exit from the terminals.
The main airlines flying to Guatemala Airport are:
- Iberia with direct flights to Madrid, Spain.
- Aeromexico connecting the capital of Mexico with Guatemala City.
- American Airlines carrying passengers to Dallas and Miami.
- Copa Airlines, which has scheduled flights from Guatemala Airport to Managua, Panama City and San Jose.
- United Airlines flying to New York and Washington.
- Delta Air Lines, on whose wings it is easy to get to Atlanta and Los Angeles.
In addition, many airlines from Costa Rica, El Salvador, Colombia, Venezuela and Honduras send their planes daily from their own capitals to Guatemala..
Those wishing to dive in Belize and enjoy the richness of the underwater world of its Barrier Reef will find Guatemala Airport in Flores. From here, Tropic Air operates regular flights to Belize City. You can fly to the capital from the international airport in Flores by the national air carrier Avianca Guatemala. Mundo Maya Airport is also the best way to get to the famous Mayan city of Tikal, whose ruins in the jungle attract the vast majority of travelers to Guatemala..
Transfer to Flores is possible by taxi, which is very inexpensive in the country. The only passenger terminal and the city center are separated by only about 5 km.